Saturday, July 13, 2013

No Pain, No Gain

I'm really not sure who came up with that saying, but today it was on my mind constantly as I did my longest and most challenging walk yet. It had a combination of paved and dirt trail with a modest elevation gain of 100ft over a little more than a mile and a quarter. It wasn't that I was in serious pain, but it was a noticeable component of my workout so I embraced it and walked on. Such a good feeling!

My neighborhood is on the edge of the Portland Metro Urban Growth Boundary so we have access to miles of paved and dirt trails right outside our front door. We even have a protected natural area with trails and obstacles in the middle of our development. It's perfect for strengthening my ankle. 


For the last two weeks I've been walking Gauge doggy each morning in my walking boot. I absolutely love our morning walks, so getting back to them has been good for my spirits. We have been doing a one mile neighborhood loop each morning, a paved out-n-back trail with a little hill each afternoon, and then sometimes a short neighborhood loop in the evening. 

After five and a half weeks in a walking boot, following the doctor's orders exactly, and resisting temptation to take off the boot when it was driving me nutty ... I graduated to an ankle brace this week.


My awesome GameDay low-profile, lace-up corset style brace comes with criss-cross strapping and velcro action to support the ankle in action.

Over the next two weeks I'll be working on range-of-motion and endurance so I can successfully return to 8hr shifts on July 29, and my regular 12hr shifts on August 12. 

I hope to start working in a few of these dirt trails with Gauge at my side. For now ... Charles has been going along so she can get in a few faster sections and critter hunting. 


Of course no broken bone story is really complete without updated x-rays. 


Two views of the healing bone, it's the one on the left. 


A side view of the break shows how it's still got a small gap, but it's healing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment