Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Back on the Trail

A new year brings such delight for me ... it signifies the beginning of a new year of adventures. With today marking my return to the trail after a long hiatus to fully recover from a broken fibula, it seemed only fitting to hike in the forest right near our house ... Portland's Forest Park.

Portlanders often overlook Forest Park as a hike option because of our close proximity for day hikes in the Columbia Gorge, Mt Hood, Mt Adams, Mount St Helens, even the Goat Rocks Wilderness is doable. 

Forest Park has almost 90 miles of trails that can provide a quiet leisurely hike along a creek or an intense workout up one of the many trails that connect the Williamette River to the ridge more than 1200ft above. It's also an excellent gear-testing option close to home. 

Today's hike was a combination workout and gear shakedown ... perfect for the foggy weather we were having. 




I could spend my time just relaxing along familiar trails, making adjustments to my stride, shifting a few things in my pack (oh how I've missed shouldering it), listening to my body rediscover it's balance and enjoying the sun beams lighting the moisture laden lichen as it cut through the fog. 

Today made me yearn for hikes along the PCT ... the trail that enchants me each summer and constantly tempts me with its siren song. 

Someday I'll hike the PCT ... for now I am content with day hikes and being an on-the-trail Trail Angel. I am known as Where's Chris? because I appear along the trail at random places with apples or small treats as the herd moves through Oregon and Washington. 

In 2014 I have plans to be along the PCT at least 20 times. For some hikers our paths may cross several times along their journey ... for others it will be a single encounter. I just never know what the season holds, but I will share my hikes and encounters on this blog so you can share in the adventure this year. 

1 comment: